Thursday, February 28, 2008

Oprah & The New Age Jesus

I received a forward from my aunt a few days ago about Oprah and her New Age Jesus and how Christians should beware, boycott, the usual conservative response. Anyway, instead of just deleting it because I know it will make me upset, I actually read it and here was my response.

Oprah is successful and people listen to her because she is willing to give and love. People listen to her message because she seems to really care about them as people, providing for their material needs.

Conservative Christians on the other hand, typically are always on the defensive, willing to boycott and throw their hands up (and send forwards saying I am not a good Christian if I don’t send it on) at anything that challenges their “traditional values or beliefs.” What if we quit all that and started going on the offensive. We should start meeting people’s needs and caring for them (with our time and money as well as our prayers) instead of sitting around all day waiting for someone like Oprah to say one wrong word about Jesus and then condemning her for it. Maybe then people would start listening to OUR message of love and acceptance?

Maybe I would listen to people more if they were doing half of the good in this world that Oprah does. Now, she probably does have wacky views and I probably wouldn’t consider her a Christian, to be honest I don’t think I have ever even watched an entire show of hers, but I can’t help but applaud her for doing the work many Christians in this world SHOULD be doing (such as the school she started in South Africa for girls)…If we weren’t so busy talking so much about what we DON’T believe in.

Important P.S. What the heck does Oprah’s bad theology have to do with voting for Barack Obama?


This post will probably only make sense to those who received the forward, which is probably a lot of people since I got 2 in 2 days from 2 different folks. Anyway, just my thought on forwards that ask me to boycott/beware of things.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

maybe i should boycott you jared.



just kidding.... now i feel bad about starting an "I HATE THE GOLDEM COMPASS" club....

Anonymous said...

i spelled golded wrong...how embarassing

Anonymous said...

holy crap i spelled it wrong again

Anonymous said...

I usually just delete them. For example, I got an email from a friend with a link to a video detailing how Christians are being silenced and our religious liberties being threatened all throughout America ... so I actually watched about 30 sec., then deleted the email. The funny thing is, he asked me what I thought about it tonight ... I said something like
"I generally just don't put a lot of stock in things like that. It doesn't match up with what I see in our society, with the reality I live in. And I think well-meaning people sometimes go way overboard and may end up taking certain events out of context instead of looking at the whole picture."

He told me that was a good answer.

Bill Reichart said...

Thanks for your post, I listened to Oprah's first webinar with Tolle and posted on how Oprah has transcended from talk show host to uber-evangelist.

you can go to my blog Provocative Church to get the link for the article:

http://www.provocativechurch.com/2008/03/is-oprah-next-billy-graham.html