Sunday, June 10, 2007

Gratitude

Tonight I went to a church service, and it was good. There was one thing in particular that made me really think. At the end of the time of singing (sorry for the lack of a better word, I refuse to call it "worship") the music leader prayed, "God, I wish there were words big enough to show our gratitude." For whatever reason, it hit me. We kind of do have 'words big enough to show our gratitude.' They are called 'actions.' Of course the leader didn't say this intentionally but I understood those words in my own life as giving lip service. It's much easier for me to say, "I wish I had words big enough to show my gratitude" while I am missing enormous opportunities to show my gratitude by loving my neighbor as myself, by letting my neighbor borrow my lawn mower (even though I know I won't see it again for 6 mos, or ever), by giving up on the lame excuse "I just don't have time" so that I can volunteer at a homeless shelter, so that I can take time to pray for the less fortunate, by giving up my vacation time at work to go to help Katrina victims. That is gratitude. Now even those might not be gratitude enough, but I have to say it's much better than cop-ing out with a "I wish I had words..."

"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go visit you?"

"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me." [Matthew 25:37-40]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

good stuff bro.

Aaron said...

Well said. I don't think I can ever do enough to express enough gratitude, either. This really touches me on the same topic: John 6:27-29, 38-41; 5:19-20, 36. Real Christians make their lives Christ's, and spend their time doing His will instead of their own.

Something else to remember is that even though no matter what we do, it is still grace that saves us through faith, that faith is evidenced by actions: James 2:14-26. After all, this scripture should penetrate deep into the hearts of us all: John 14:15, and this scripture shows the greatest blessing from that: John 15:10.

Thanks again for the post, man.